Saturday, April 18, 2009

Some things you just didn't know you were qualified for...

Last weekend, our university's foreign language department had its first annual English Debate Competition. Students from each class and year are chosen to debate on a variety of topics from the UN to animal rights.

The debate took place in three rounds: Friday night, they weeded out those with less advanced debating skills. Saturday morning, they further thinned the ranks, and Saturday evening was the main show.

Of course, we didn't find out this was going on til Thursday night when a Chinese colleague informed Amanda, Christina, and I that we "got" to be judges. Now, I (Mike) am about 100% sure that in the States I would never be asked to judge a debate competition ever. Amanda and Christina maybe, they both were English/Journalism majors and know what they are talking about, but me? Never.

I guess the same could be said for teaching English, but nevertheless, here I am in China. I guess it just goes to show: You never know what you can or can't do till you try (or are asked)! :)


A student making her argument about why the government should not control the price of rice.


The Judges! Sitting on my right, another teacher, Bravo (yes, like what you say after a performance. I thought it perfectly fit the setting), Mike, and Annie Li). Bravo apparently didn't get the memo to wear red. :)


The competition was actually quite a bit of fun. I got to know two of my fellow coworkers better and listen to some fairly well-arranged arguments. It was something I will not forget, and I actually hope that I get to do it again some time.


*Amanda also says: I was really impressed with these students who competed. This debate competition earns them no credit, nor extra credit. They do it because it is good practice! The teams prepare 20 different topics, both the support and opposition! All while doing actual homework and preparing for exams. Amazing!


I had a more difficult time judging the first set because all 4 were my own students. I knew their ability level, which made it easier, but I liked them all, which made it harder! It's difficult to set aside your personal opinion and award the stronger side, even if you don't agree.

I learned a lot to, like Mike, and am looking forward to more opportunities like this in the future! It seems like we have targets on us that say, "Ask us!" :)

2 comments:

Kirstin Lindquist said...

Hey! Mike, we are impressed at your judging skills. I'm sure you'll be asked to return in that capacity! Also glad to hear the wounds are healing. We are remembering you both daily. See you soon!! :) Todd, Kirstin & kids

Suzanne said...

Well you sure didn't have any trouble making the judgement call (against me!) on Jody Foster and "Intense" in the Apples to Apples game...I do demand a rematch now that your skills have been honed!