We love our new home, and we want an interesting way to both introduce you to it (without your actual being here) and help you understand it.
I’m calling this collection of insights “The Things You Get Used To” because it is a collection of situations and stuff that, had you told me pre-China what they were, I would have said “no way!” And yet, we are used to them and they are a part of daily life.
And so, without further ado:
The Things You Get Used To, Volume 1 – There’s No Flopping in China
I made the first mistake on our one-night stay in Beijing. We walked into our nice hotel room, I set down my bag, and I flopped on the bed. BIG mistake. If there’s flopping on beds in China, there are sore, hurt bodies.

In China, the beds are not the soft, cushiness we are used to. No mattress. No box spring. No pillow top. Ours is a wooden platform with a one-inch pad on it: I say “pad” loosely since it is hardly padding. The first few nights, I discovered that I could not continue to be a “side sleeper” (one who sleeps on her side at night) for long with no additional padding.
To help with the hardness, we got a foam pad and a few comforters – I seriously feel like the princess from “The Princess and the Pea” with her dozens of mattresses… only mine are several thin comforters. They are a far step up from our beginnings, so our nights are much more pleasant now!
We are thankful for these little luxuries to make rest more restful!
(We hope some of you are smiling because you are aware of this already. :) Maybe others of you are wincing!)
I’m calling this collection of insights “The Things You Get Used To” because it is a collection of situations and stuff that, had you told me pre-China what they were, I would have said “no way!” And yet, we are used to them and they are a part of daily life.
And so, without further ado:
The Things You Get Used To, Volume 1 – There’s No Flopping in China
I made the first mistake on our one-night stay in Beijing. We walked into our nice hotel room, I set down my bag, and I flopped on the bed. BIG mistake. If there’s flopping on beds in China, there are sore, hurt bodies.

In China, the beds are not the soft, cushiness we are used to. No mattress. No box spring. No pillow top. Ours is a wooden platform with a one-inch pad on it: I say “pad” loosely since it is hardly padding. The first few nights, I discovered that I could not continue to be a “side sleeper” (one who sleeps on her side at night) for long with no additional padding.
To help with the hardness, we got a foam pad and a few comforters – I seriously feel like the princess from “The Princess and the Pea” with her dozens of mattresses… only mine are several thin comforters. They are a far step up from our beginnings, so our nights are much more pleasant now!
We are thankful for these little luxuries to make rest more restful!
(We hope some of you are smiling because you are aware of this already. :) Maybe others of you are wincing!)
