Sunday, March 8, 2009
Thank the father for smart computer people!!
So some of you may have read below the comments made by my lovely bride about our "computer problems". Well they were not so much computer problems but a poor computer user (this would be me). To make a long story short on wednesday in the process of trying to sync our external hard drive to the computer to back up all our stuff including our pictures (pictures from both Amanda and I's whole life) I deleted them. yes all of them. Every picture Amanda or I has ever taken, stolen, barrowed, or downloaded was gone. Luckly I have heard of this happening before and I knew all was not lost. I quickly called some computer friends who also are english teachers over here and are recognized by our orginazation as computer geniuses and one of them was able to recomend a recovery program. I went into action and started running recovery programs on both the computer and the external hard drive. The problem was that we had had over 25 GB of pictures (thats a lot if you didn't know) so the recovery took a long time. The computer recovery ended first and we where able to salvage some pics but they were all in different folders and in no order at all. (Just a side note to make this story worse I had just spent wednesday afternoon, all afternoon organizing our pics and rearranging folders) Some Just show up as little red X's and some have part of a picture showing and the rest is covered by gray. (If any of you know how to get the red X's to show as pictures there is info there but I have no idea what to do or how to fix the gray ones your help would be appricated) Needless to say I was quite depressed. All our pictures gone or messed up. Luckly the recovery on the external hard drive went better and I would say that 85% of the pictures where recovered that way. Only problem here is that they are all in one folder. About 25,000 pictures that need to be sorted. Yeah have fun. Luckly we had two saving graces one my incredibly smart father made me back up all our picutes onto his hard drive before we left. Sooo we will have trouble showing students those but at least when we get home we can get them. And Two most of the pictures we have taken while in China we loaded on Photobucket.com. Now I just have to figure out a quick way to get them off and back to my computer. I am still a little upset at myself and their is still lots to do to try and get back to normal. But all is not lost, please continue to uplift me as I deal with all this and Amanda as she deals with me. :) Thanks!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What a nightmare. I am so sorry. That's a terrible thing to have happen. I hope that you are able to recover more, and thanks be that you were able to get back as much as you did! Wow, I really hope that never happens to me. I'm going to go back up my files right now as a matter of fact.
Hey guys, you were on my mind, so I thought I'd say hi!
Post a Comment